Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Justice

It is a simple philosophical question (that statement feels oxymoronic), is justice righteous, and ethically sound cause, or is it a vendetta, a seeking of vengeance which none ought to condone. Compound that question with wondering if vengeance is really a bad thing, then again by wondering where the dichotomy lies if vendettas are ethically appropriate, it all becomes very murky very fast. Well this theme is what I’m going to explore in the research paper, I will be examining the idea of justice in graphic novels and in Jewish mythology and I want to see what comes out, whether they agree, disagree, or have varying narratives.
To that end I will be employing Alan Moore’s Watchmen, and V for Vendetta, as well as a few essays on justice in the Dark Knight run of Batman. While this appears to be a limited sample I think it will provide ample evidence. It might also be argued that in my selection for graphic novels I am being too narrow in that I am only selecting graphic novels that show the darker grittier side of graphic novels. To which I completely agree, this selection, I think, captures the “id” of humanity better than others. Superman would be like holding up a fun house mirror to society and saying that is what it is. To understand the human ideas of justice you must look at both authors who are not afraid to use more dark and realistic material, as well as flawed characters. It is important that the every shade of black be apparent in the relative darkness of humanity. That each step that is taken to understand the worst parts of humanity help us better understand the whole (I also might be a bit bias against humanity being as I view it as a pretty awful collective). I also think these ideas are supported in Jewish mythology.
The crux of my essay will also center heavily on Jewish mythology, both in the Hebrew Bible as well as mythology outside of sacred texts. These will serve primarily as references to divine justice, or justice approved by God. Which I think will also pull in to light that justice is little more than a more palatable word for revenge, and vendetta. I will focus mostly on the rich mythological text, but infused with some writing on the actual philosophical approach to justice with in Jewish text.
By the end of my paper I will show that there is an agreeance in Jewish mythology and graphic novels as to what justice truly is an act of revenge. While there is often a vial of righteous agenda, what is truly present is rage and vendetta, whether it is V, Rorschach, Moses, or Bruce Wayne they all were a mask ( three of the four literally) of valor.

No comments:

Post a Comment